A Lesson In: Building your confidence at work and learning to stop saying I’m sorry with Huff Post Managing Editor, Robyn Malcolm
"You definitely realize the higher up you get that nobody fully knows exactly what they are doing all the time. and in a lot of situations I’ve learned too, you just make the best decision you can, with the information you have, and the experience you have, and maybe it’s not always the right decision but you just gotta keep making decisions." - Robyn
You guys! THIS IS IT… the launch of the LeadHer Lessons Podcast!
I am so excited you are here. And what better way to kick things off than by sharing with you the inspiring conversation I had with Huff Post Managing Editor, Robyn Malcolm. Robyn grew up in Atlanta, GA, but always had dreams of moving to the Big Apple. After high school, Robyn was accepted to NYU and her dreams of moving to NYC became a reality. Having been in New York City for 10 years, Robyn’s friends have jokingly told her she is a REAL New Yorker now. The road from journalism student to managing editor at a major media organization wasn’t always a smooth one. Robyn has learned a lot of lessons along the way.
Here are some of the topics we discuss:
- How living in NYC has changed Robyn for the better
- Robyn’s tips to crush a job interview
- Robyn’s best advice for negotiating a raise at work
- How to build your confidence in the workplace
- The two phrases to remove from your vocabulary
- The unexpected things Robyn found out when talking to ordinary people from cities all over the United States during Huff Post’s Listen To America Tour
- How taking a break from watching/reading or listening to the news can help you gain perspective
- How to deal with “Mansplaining” at work
- Nap Rooms at Huff Post… does Robyn use them?
- Robyn’s experience reporting overseas in Vietnam
- Ways women can help each other out at work - mentorship/sponsorship
Robyn is a true go getter and I hope the passion she exudes for her work and the gusto with which she chases her dreams inspires you as much as it inspired me.
MORE ABOUT ROBYN:
Ask A Manager : One of Robyn’s go-to blogs
Veterans And Anti-War Activists Make Peace With Vietnam - And Eachother : The article Robyn wrote after journeying to Vietnam to take part in a tour with Veterans for Peace.
Follow her on Twitter!